Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Landmines of my gene

I was not suprised when my DNA Genetic Testing Report collected from DNA DYNASTY indicates that I have a predisposition to ovarian cancer which manifested in the death of my grandmother who died of the disease years ago. Although I was saddened a little by the result, I knew I needed to face the fact and act upon it.

According to my Personalized Health Guide Book, milk, talcum powder, hair dye, hormonal creams, royal jelly are landmines which will switch on the gene which makes me susceptible to ovarian cancer. I also learn that I need to take more cruciferous vegetables such as brocolli which is rich in Indole-3 Carbinol that converts bad estrogen to good estrogen (FYI, ovarian cancer is a hormone related disease), and regular medical checkup is necessary. So, knowing that helps me avoid triggers by eating correctly, living right, and avoiding environments that are not suitable for me. Having known my gene type also helps me in my choice of career. I cannot work as a hair stylist who often needs to keep contact with hair dye which is a trigger to my disease. My eldest son who carries the gene that makes him prone to develop throat cancer is not advisable to be a cook or smoker as fumes and smokes will trigger off the gene. He is also advised not to drink beverage or soup which is very hot in temperature.

I strongly recommend that everyone should have his/her DNA profiling as knowing your genetic strong points and weak points enables you to devise a targeted approach that allows you to stay fit and healthy.

Mdm Tan, Marketing Executive

No comments: